Composition not supported in desktop capture

Composition not supported in desktop capture

WindPower
Hi, I noticed that window composition (I think that's what it's called) is not supported in desktop capture. For example, I'm using Cairo-dock, which puts semi-transparent icons over my desktop. It looks good and all, but when WebcamStudio captures it, here's what happens: http://uppix.net/0/e/3/d867fe8cfa3c5d1fb26c500eaaa3c.png
As you can see, there's a black background instead of the transparency seen normally.

Re: Composition not supported in desktop capture

matthartley
Administrator
Ouch, yeah, I am willing to bet that comes back to the back end of how the video is captured. Perhaps Pat could shed light on this, but I believe this is an X issue and how the software interacts with it. Could be wrong though. We'll see what Pat thinks.

Not sure if I need to bump this since it's still visible on the front page, but I do want to bring some more attention to this, so...
Bump~

Re: Composition not supported in desktop capture

matthartley
Administrator
Pat will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the way the software catches X output. Which of course means it is out our hands. Maybe there is something that can be done with refresh or something in the future, but I am not sure.

Have you tried Avant Windows Navigator as an alternative? I have used it in the past with other screen capturing software, never had this kind of issue with the latest release of it.

Re: Composition not supported in desktop capture

WindPower
I'm pretty sure it is in Pat's hands because other software (recordmydesktop, ksnapshot) handle it just fine, so I guess it's WebcamStudio that uses a "wrong" way of capturing desktop pictures (taking lots of screenshots directly from X, and not from Xgl? Something like that)

Re: Composition not supported in desktop capture

matthartley
Administrator
Yes, you are right now that I think of it. There may be some Java specific libraries at work here, but I'll leave that to Pat as he would know more than I for sure.

Re: Composition not supported in desktop capture

Patrick Balleux

That's a Java issue.  I'll have a look but I am using the Java internal desktop capture to do this, so it's won't be possible to modify this behaviour.

There are other solutions you can use:

1 - Connect to your local VNC server (Vino, Desktop Sharing) using a movie streamer
2 - Use RecordMyDesktop to save the file into a Pipe file, and open Movie viewer on that Pipe

Pat

Patrick Balleux

WS4GL Project Manager